Nancy Galvin, Ph.D.
Associate Research Professor
Email Address: email@example.com
Nancy Galvin, Ph.D.
Dr. Galvin is responsible for operation of the clinical electron microscopy facility at Saint Louis University School of Medicine where technical preparation of material for ultrastructural diagnosis and biomedical research is performed. She also directs the unit for residency training in electron microscopy.
Dr. Galvin collaborates with researchers within and outside the University in the application of ultrastructural technology to biological research projects. Techniques include standard tissue preparation and analysis of tissues for transmission and scanning electron microscopy, electron microscopic immunolocalization, and freeze-fracture.
Personal research interests include study of lysosomal storage diseases in animal models.
American Association for Cell Biology
1. Hennig,A.K., Levy, B., Ogilvie, J. M., Vogler, C. A., Galvin, N., Bassnett, S., and Sands, Intravitreal gene therapy reduces lysosomal storage in specific areas of the CNS in mucopolysaccharidosis VII mice. J. Neuroscience, 23(8):3302-7, 2003.
2. Vogler, C., Galvin, N., Levy, B., Grubb, J., Jiang, J., Zhou, X. Y., Sly. W. S. Transgene produces massive overexpression of human beta-glucuronidase in mice, lysosomal storage of enzyme, and strain-dependent tumors. PNAS 100:2669-73, 2003.
3. Schuldt, A. J., Hampton, T. J., Chu, V., Vogler, C. A., Galvin, N., Lessard, M. D., Barker, J. E. Electrocardiographic and other cardiac anomalies in beta- glucuronidase-null mice corrected by nonablative neonatal marrow transplantation. PNAS 101:603-8, 2004.
4. Vogler, C., B. Levy, N. Galvin, M. Lessard, B. Soper, J. Barker. Early onset of lysosomal storage disease in a murine model of Mucopolysaccharidosis TypeVII: Undegraded substrate accumulates in many tissues in the fetus and very young MPS VII mouse. Pediatric and Developmental Pathology 8:453-462, 2005.
5. Vogler C, Grubb J, Levy B, Galvin N., Tan Y, Kakkis E, Sly WS Overcoming the blood brain barrier with high dose enzyme replacement therapy in murine Mucopolysaccharidosis VII. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 102:14777-14782, 2005 (October).
6. Lessard MD, Alley TL, Proctor JL, Levy B, Galvin N, Vogler CA, Soper BW, Attenuation of lysosomal storage disease by allogeneic neonatal bone marrow transplantation using costimulatory blockade and donor lymphocyte infusion without myeloablation. Clinical Immunology, 119(2): 166-79, 2006.
7. Galvin N., Vogler C., Levy B. Kovacs A., Griffey M., Sands MS. A murine model of infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis-ultrastructural evaluation of storage in the central nervous system and viscera. Pediatric & Developmental Pathology. 11(3):185-92, 2008 May-Jun.
8. Sly WS, Vogler C, Grubb JH, Levy B, Galvin N, Tan Y, Nishioka T, Tomatsu S, and Tomatsu S. Enzyme therapy in mannose receptor-null mucopolysaccharidosis VII mice defines roles for the mannose 6-phospate and mannose receptors. PNAS 103:15172-15177, 2006 (October).
9. Ellis L, Mullins, M, Galvin N, and Scalzo, A. Detection of mercury in abdominal wallsoft tissue. J. Med. Toxicol. 5:205-208, 2009.
10. Grubb, JH, Vogler, C, Levy, B, Galvin, N, Tan Y. and Sly, WS. Chemically modified beta-glucuronidase crosses blood-brain barrier and clears neuronal storage in murine mucopolysaccharidosis VII. PNAS 105:2616-21, 2008 (February).
Honors and Awards
1970 Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha of Iowa
1970-1971 University of Iowa Foundation Honors Scholarship
1971 James P. Robbie Award for the Outstanding Zoology Undergraduate, University of Iowa
1972-1975 NDEA Title IV Predoctoral Fellowship
1975-1977 NIMH Neuroscience Predoctoral Fellowship
1977 First Annual Dobzhansky Award for Research, Behavior Genetics Association 1977-1978 NIMH Neuroscience Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Iowa
1978-1979 NIMH Neuroscience Postdoctoral Fellowship, Washington University School of Medicine 2005
Harry Neustein Award presented by the Society for Pediatric Pathology at the combined Society for Pediatric Pathology/ Pediatric Pathology Society meeting, 2005
PUBMEDClick here for listings on PubMed
Modified Date:Wednesday 08-May-13 10:13:58 CDT